My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Ammo

This is an item that I consider both an investment and ammo for personal use. Should the economy go south as I anticipate, ammo may be one of the best barter items you can have. Even if we do not go to a complete barter system, there will probably be a number of people that will prefer to barter than use what passes for cash in this country. So, when you look at the numbers of each type of ammo I list, do not think that I am out of my mind. For the shotgun I recommend 2,100 rounds. This sounds like a lot but really it is not. I would split the shotgun shells in this way: 1,500 rounds of bird shot, 2s, 4s, 6s and 7 1/2s. I would have 300 rounds of 00 and 000 buckshot and 300 rifled slugs. For your centerfire rifle I would suggest 1,200 rounds. I would split this between two different bullet weights. for instance, using the 30-06 as and example, you might want half 125 grain and one half 180 grain. This is one reason I suggest 30-30 or 30-06 as your centerfire rifle. They are both very popular, the ammo is cheap and it will be the easiest to use as a barter item. Now my 7.62x54R ammo may be worth more in barter, but I will have a much harder time finding someone who needs it. Next, handguns: you will want 1,500 rounds, split between two types or weights. Now if you have a .357 or .44 mag. in both rifle and handgun, just add this to the 1,200 rounds of rifle ammo. Next we come to the .22 rimfore. I do not believe that 3,000 rounds is too many. First you will probably be doing most of your practice shooting with your rimfire, you will probably also have both a rifle and a handgun in that caliber, plus it will be the most sought after ammo in a survival situation. Next post I will talk about amassing this much ammo and the storage of the same. All of the info in this post has been taken from a 40 page booklet, "Sensible Affordable Firearms", which I wrote in 1998.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home