My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Free Food

One of the things az good survivalist needs to do is to learn to live off the land. This means that even now when we are not in a survival situation, we need to see about getting free food. In fact, I consider it especially important now. We can learn what to gather and where to gather it and have no fear of starving. Once we are in a survival situation, it will be too late to start learning. I am always looking for wild food. At the present time, I have 2 wild turkeys, 3 squirrels, some fish, blackberries, blueberries and some of last year's venison residing in my freezer. The freezer is getting too full so the wife and I are going to can the two turkeys. That is because it is time to go out and get another one. As I have stated in the past, a freezer is great storage, just make sure that you will be able to can or otherwise preserve everything in it should an emergency arise. I also have black walnuts drying in a junk car that I use for a solar food processer. These are in the car along with peppers from my garden and a couple of other things. We are also drying fruits which we are buying at the store. Having dried food on hand is always a good idea. But right now wild food is the important thing. As soon as the ground is covered with acorns, I will be racing the squirrels for them. I will also be doing more hunting and fishing this fall. When there is not a survival situation, spring and summer is the best time to look for plants like dandelions, stinging nettles and the multitude of other plants that are not only deible but excellent eating. Fall and winter are the time for hunting and gathering nuts, late berries and looking for other things that could keep a person alive. Fishing can be done all year if you do not mind ice fishing. Even if you do not like the cold you should try ice fishing if you live in an area where the water freezes over for most of the winter. In a survival situation it could mean the difference between life and death. I will be going out of town this weekend, so there may not be an entry on this blog until Monday, then more on food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home