My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Food Storage

Storage of food can be a problem but if you do some thinking and some planning it does not have to be. First of all you need to decide what you want to store. Many survivalists put a lot of faith into thing like wheat and other grains that need to be ground and will feed you a very bland diet for quite a while. Personally, I would rather store the types of foods I use now. Should you enter a real survival situation and need to change your diet to all wheat products, that is going to put more stress on an already bad situation. I am now drying and packaging fruit and vegetables. These items will keep for several years, even if I do not rotate them. That is the problems with storing all grains. They will not last forever and do you want to be eating nothing but your stored wheat while you are putting more in storage. I use my dried products as I go along, usually nothing gets to be over five years old. Everything I have can be either reconstituted or used dry. One of the things that I have invested in is a vacuum sealer. I vacuum pack about 90 percent of all of the food I dry. I have a solar drier and an electric drier. That way if the weather is not conducive to drying with the solar when I am ready, I simply use the electric one. After I have dried a fair amount of product, I put it in vacuum bags and seal it and put it in storage. I also purchase dried foods in the store which I repackage into vacuum bags. These bags are reusable and can be used several times. They just hold a little less each time you cut the top off and open them. If you are careful how you cut them off, you do not lose much space. Now in the fall I am drying so many things that my solar drier is full and I am also using my electric drier. More on food storage next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home