My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Food Gathering

If I seem to dwell a lot on food, it is because it is so important. We cannot live too long without food and finding it in a survival situation can be, next to having water, one of the most important things you do. Hunting, fishing and trapping are some of the most effective ways of procuring food. Fishing and trapping are both better than hunting. I say that because they are both silent methods of taking food. While you can hunt with a bow or a spear, these methods are not as effectivce as fishing or trapping. I am not talking about sport fishing here, I am talking about taking as many fish as possible with as little effort as possible. It is using methods like trot lines and set lines. It is using nets and fish traps. This is pure survival fishing, not sport fishing. My favorite method is trot lines. This is a heavy line with several hooks tied on at one or two foot intervals with one end tied to a haevy weight or tree on shore and a heavy weight on the other end. That end is thrown out as far into the river or lake as possible. They can also be stretched across small streams or rivers. These should have the hooks baited and be thrown out in the evening and be taken up in the morning. At least that is the way it should be done if you are trying to keep others from finding out where and how you are obtaining food. During survival situations you do not know when someone will want to steal your food rather then co through the work of obtaining their own. A set line is another good method of obtaining fish without actually being there. If you have only lighter fishing line this is the method to use. One or two hooks are tied on and baited, a sinker is used and the line thrown out as far as possible. Now the other end of the line is tied to a strong, springy tree limb or small bush. The limb or bush will act as a rod playing the fish and it will be there when you get back. These are methods you can use any time and any place. They can be used night and day if you are in a remote area where you are not worried about people stealing your fish or equipment. I will cover more on this subject next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home