My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Friday, July 04, 2008

Wilderness Survival-3

We are back to packing our pack. We will need two space blankets, which are only about four inches square when they are purchased and weigh next to nothing. If you choose to carry a sleeping bag or a wool blanket, they should be tied to the outside of the pack, either to the top or to the bottom of the pack. If you have a pack with a external frame, they usually extend enough past the bottom of the pack itself to tie the bag or blanket there. You are going to want a small first aid kit. This is not the medical kit we are making up but the small personal first aid kit. If several people are traveling and surviving together, one of you may want to carry the medical kit also. This is why I am using a surplus Polish Army Medical Shoulder Bag in which to set up my medical kit. If this is done, someone else may want to carry some of that person's personal items. For my personal first aid kit, I have one which hangs on my pistol belt which is something I always wear when backpacking. The large knife I suggested for the pack usually hangs on this belt also.

You will also need a compass, but I suggest that it goes into your pocket rather than your pack. That way it is always handy. You will also need some clothing. Socks are the most important item of clothing you can possibly carry. You will be on your feet, doing a lot of walking and having good, dry, well fitting socks is very important. I would carry four extra pair besides the ones you are wearing. Two of them can be cotton and two of them wool. Never wear the same socks two days in a row. Even if you have no chance to wash the ones you are wearing, air them out overnight and put a different pair on in the morning. Air them out the second night and then it is not too bad to wear them. The best policy is if there is water available, wash them or at least rinse them out. You will be packing a bar of face soap and this can be used to wash socks and shorts as well. You will need at least one change of underwear and if it is winter in the north a change of long johns. A couple of hankies will not hurt either. It is hard to get into the outer clothing, not knowing what type of weather each one of you will be finding. If you are in an area such as the south or southwestern United States, you will want certain things and people in the north will need different things. It will also matter if you are going out in the summer or winter and how long you intend to stay. I would have to know each survivalist's situation before I could make a good judgement. All I will say here is pack the clothing you feel you will need, but do not over pack. The pack will be heavy enough without adding extra, unneeded clothing.

Next week we will get into the food and miscellaneous items. Now let us get back to our medical kit. Remember this kit will be for taking care of you and others in your party when there is no medical help around.

Add you the last two week's list: Sweet oil for the softening of ear wax, an ear syringe to clean out ears, a bottle of boric acid to make eye wash and a glass eye cup. They make plastic disposable eye cups, but I prefer the glass ones as I can sterilize them and use them over and over. The last thing we will add this week is a pill splitter. This is especially necessary for a group having younger children who may need a half of a tablet of some type. Also, many prescriptions call for a person to take a half pill. I, personally am on three such prescriptions.

Back next week with another dose of survival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home