My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wilderness Survival-2

Okay, let us start packing our backpack. One thing I should mention here while we are still at the beginning and some of you are possibly looking for that perfect backpack. I prefer a backpack with an outside frame. Many things can be hung on the frame outside the pack. Also the frame can be used alone to pack such things as a haunch of venison or other large items. If you already have a pack that you like and it does not have an outside frame, do not worry too much about it. Either use it as it is or make your own frame for the pack you have. One of my packs is an army pack for which I made a frame from 1 x2s and some canvas.

The first thing to have for your pack is a good large knife. This is one of the items that can hang on the outside of the pack. I like a good, well made, fixed blade knife for this purpose. You can still carry a sturdy pocket folder or even another smaller belt knife. I also carry a folding camp saw and a hatchet. I know it sounds like a lot but remember, you may want to survive for a fairly long time. We are also going to need a firearm and ammo. Here is where we get into some trouble of knowing what to take. My suggestion is a combination .22 caliber/.410 over and under. The reason I pick this weapon is that it can be had as a takedown weapon, both the .22 and the .410 are the quietest firearms of their style and we need quiet if we are going to survive. I also have a .22 pistol in my pack but that is a personal choice. By the way, a .22 will bring down a whitetail deer with one well placed shot. However, this can be tricky and should only be tried in a must survive situation. If you are going to depend on deer sized game for food it might be better to eliminate the .22 handgun and carry a .357 or .44 caliber handgun. My only reason for not doing so is that I would need another size of ammo and the noise factor, but it definitely is worth considering. I would carry a brick (500 rounds) of .22 ammo and about 100 rounds of .410 shells, with 25 of those being slugs.

Now that you have a good knife, guns, saw, hatchet what else do we need to survive. Well, how about something to start a fire with. First, I have a large container into which I have put about 100 waterproof matches. I do my own waterproofing so that I can save a little money. I simply dip the head of a strike anywhere match into melted wax and let it dry. If it does not look like enough was has stuck, you may need to dip it again. A point of interest here is that in my area of Wisconsin the only place that I can purchase strike anywhere matches is at an Amish store. You will also want another fire starter. One of the flint and steel or similar type starter is what is probably best. I also have a number of fire starting pellets with me. I make these by combining lint from the dryer with the wax I finished using for my matches. Do you actually need these? probably not, but having a couple with at all times could save you a mighty cold night or two.

An now back to the medical kit. We will need some 2 x 2 gauze pads and some 4 x 4 gauze pads. We will also need a roll of gauze for wrapping wounds and some heavy duty tape. Put in a bottle of eye drops and a bottle of nasal spray. Also, some cold tablets and some throat lozenges. I think that is enough money for this week. Next week more on survival and more on meds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home