My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Food for Survival/water

Those of you with your own well should consider installing or at least having on hand a hand pump of some sort. Remember, any time that there is no power, you have no water. A good hand pump and an old farm pump-jack are good to have on hand. The pump-jack can be used with an electric motor, a gas engine or you can take the jack parts off and replace the handle on your pump to use it by hand. Anyone having a working windmill on ther place has the best of everything. Many people think that they can simply use water from a nearby lake, river or stream. Just remember, most water sources today are polluted. I do not even trust rainwater completely. I probably would use it without purifying if I had to, but would prefer to purify it if possible. All water from natural sources should be purified, either by boiling or with purification tablets or both. You should always keep some purification tablets with your portable food supply. I also keep a supply at home in case the occasion should arise that I would need to purify my water there. Many of us also store at least some water for the short term while we are setting up our permanent water supply. Depending on how much water you want to store and the amount of space you have to store it, there are several methods you can use. I simply use two and five gallon plastic buckets with tight fitting lids. I also have several one gallon jugs with water stored. I only have about forty gallons total as I should have my backup water system installed by then. Another way to store water is to purchase some old water heaters that do not leak and store the water in the tanks. Just make sure that you rinse them out good and possibly run a little chlorine bleach water through them. You can purchase water storage barrels, but they are way too expensive for me and most survivalist that I know. An alternative is to get a barrel and line it with heavy plastic and then fill it with water. Just start by putting a large piece of plastic in the barrel and start filling the barrel. the water will pull the plastic down and fit it to the barrel. Stop filling before you get to the top or before you run out of plastic. Leave enough plastic above the water that you can tie or tape it shut, then put a lid on the barrel. When you are storing water for a long term, always add a few drops per gallon of household bleach. This will keep your water fresher and potable. There are many more things I could get into about food and water, but if you use what I have written here, use your own imagination and do some planning, what i have written should get you through any survival situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home