My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Food for Survival XI/Foraging

Trapping is another method of obtaining meat. A good survivalist should know how to use live traps, foot hold traps, body hold traps and snares and how make deadfalls, pit traps and springpole traps. Many of these things will not be legal where you live, but you should read all you can about all of them; the hows, wheres, whens and whys. Those of you who live in the country may even want to try your hand at some of the trapping methods. In the city about the only thing you can do is to try out a live trap on a squirrel or rabbit in your yard. In a real survival situation you would want to be able to capture as many of these as possible and maybe some pigeons if possible. While pigeons in the city may be suspect because of what they might eat, during a survival situation I would definately eat a well cleaned and well cooked pigeon. Pigeons on farms are a different story. I try to get a few each year for the freezer. Most farmers will let you shoot or trap them just to get rid of them. Here in Wisconsin, there is no season and no limit on feral pigeons. Remember trapping in a survival situation is not like trapping fur bearers now. You would be trying to catch coon, rabbits, squirrels, grouse, pigeons, etc., all animals that are good to eat. However in the fur bearer line, both muskrat and beaver are excellent eating. The last thing about taking fish and animals in a survival situation, do not depend on one method of fishing or one weapon for gathering your food. I practice with rifles, both muzzle loaders and modern, handguns, both muzzle loaders and modern, air guns, slingshots and even do some occasional practice with a boomerang. For fishing I have rods, hand lines, trot line material, nets and know ways to make other fish catching items. I do a lot of practice with air guns. They can be used in basement, garage or even living room. This is also an excellent silent killer. You have to get close, usually twenty feet or less, but the ones with 1,000fps will do the job. I have taken rabbits, squirrels, and one woodchuck with mine. I guess the one thing about foraging is to know as many methods as possible and practice as many of them as you have time and area to do so. Practice hunting, fishing, trapping and hunting wild plant life. All of this will make you a better survivalist and give you a better chance should the occasion arise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home