My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Food for Survival/Storage II

Here on our five acres in the country, I have a completly different storage plan. We raise much of our own vegetables and some fruit and we pick berries and nuts in the wild. We can enough produce and meat to make up our two year supply. This is kept in a special crawl space which I dug. We rotate our stock so that nothing ever gets over two years old. We also dry a lot of our fruits and some of the vegetables. This cuts down on storage space needed. It seems that we are always drying or jerking something throughout the year. I do a lot of hunting and fishing and we can some of that and freeze a portion of it. We also freeze a portion of our fruits and vegetables. We have a supply of canning jars large enough to can everything in the freezer should an emergency arise. I have a wood stove in my garage that can be used to do the canning. I even have a generator to keep the freezer running until the canning is done. I still keep two weeks of highly portable food for two people. I still keep this in packs and I now keep it in a fold down camper which we use for vacations. Back the vehicle up to the camper, hook up and I am ready to hit the road to wherever. I have some contingency plans for that possibility, but that is a whole other subject. Even though I feel that where I am is about as good a spot for survival as anywhere else, you never know when the need to move could arise. As you notice in my three examples, where and how you store your food depends a lot on where you live, space available, what your survival plans are, what scenarios you are contemplating, etc. Those of you who live in a high crime area or other non-friendly place, that feel they would need to move for survival, have the biggest problem. Not only does your two week supply need to be portable, you need a plan for the rest of your food. If you have a retreat or even a vacation camping spot that you own, that would be where you would want to store your food. You would need to dig an underground storage area to keep your food from freezing and safe. Keeping it safe would be important even if you are in an area where you do not need to worry about freezing. This is one of the reasons I suggest drying and jerking a lot of food. Most of the time even should those things freeze, they would still be usable and they also take less storage space. Canned food is a different story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home