My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Other Options

There are ways to live without any electricity at all. First, let us take a look at water. If you have your own well, you could install a hand pump. While my well is located in a spot that makes it very hard to install a pump, the water table here is such that I am planning to drive a well point in the spring. This well will be used to water my garden and as an emergency water supply. All of this may be a bit inconvenient, but better than no water. A bucket of water can be kept by the toilet to flush when absolutely necessary. A camping style solar shower can be used, etc. If you depend on city water, storage is your only option. Five gallon plastic, stacking buckets is about the best way to go. These can be spaced in different locations and do not take up as much room as a 55 gallon drum. Remember to add a couple drops of chlorine bleach to each bucket. 50 to 100 gallons is what I recommend. Heat is a little more difficult. If possible having wood heat, at least as a space heater, is the best. Having a wood furnace is the ultimate way to go if you live where this is possible. I now have wood space heat for backup and am hoping to build my own outdoor wood furnace soon. Another way is to build solar heat panels for all of your south and west facing windows. The only problem with that is you only get heat when the sun shines. All other options such a kerosene space heaters are okay for short times, but take a lot of fuel and some are dangerous. Cooking can be done in several ways. If you have propane that is one way as long as it lasts. You may also use a camp stove as long as you have fuel, a charcoal grill as long as you have fuel or a wood stove. Charcoal cooking needs to be done outdoors, which is a little nasty at times here in the north. Our space heating wood stove has a flat top and can therefore be used to do some cooking on. Most other things are not that difficult to find options for. Lighting can be camp lanterns, kerosene lamps or candles. A gallon of kerosene will last a long time if just used for lighting. Whatever it is, have a supply of something. A solar charger and some batteries and you can run things like communications equipment, radio, tv, etc. I have hand tools to back up every power tool I own and I know how to use them. Everyone's situation is unique so I cannot advise what to do with a blanket statement. Use your brain and think of all the things that you might want or need and plan accordingly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home