My Photo
Name:
Location: Necedah, Wisconsin

I am retired from the work world and do freelance writing. I have served in the armed forces and worked in various industries. I have worked for both political parties and found them both to be lacking. After watching politics for a long time I came to all new conclusions.This is why I got into survivalism and why I am warning people of the politics of this country. I also am tired of people crying the sky is falling. They are actually saying mankind is causing global warming. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to try to disprove the garbage they are putting out.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Completing Your System

These systems are always a work in progress. They can be expanded to as many batteries as you can charge and can eventually be made to run your whole house. With enough time, work and money, you could even get yourself off the grid. Anyone having a vacation home/survival retreat should consider going off the grid with it and using just solar and wind. This is especially true if you are intending to ride out any survival situation there. However you are going to use your system, some things need to be taken into consideration. The batteries. While automotive batteries can be used they are not made for the constant charging and discharging of a power system. Industrial six volt batteries wired in series to make 12v are the best. These are the batteries that run factory fork lifts, golf carts, etc. I have chosen to go with 12v marine batteries rather than either of those. I have several reasons for doing this: they are cheaper than industrial batteries, they are made to be charged and recharged, they are much more widely available than the industrial, being readily available at automotive stores, discount stores and hardware stores. I can also install them as second batteries in my truck or other vehicle. The industrial batteries would take up too much space under the hood. The industial batteries are also much heavier if you need to do any amount of moving the batteries. Some of you might want to take a serious look at the industrial batteries. If you are going to house your batteries in one location and not need to move them, if you are possibly thinking about going off grid eventually, they would be your best bet. While being a little more expensive, they have a longer life and they provide the most reliable power. That is why they are used in industry. For those with strictly a backup system, who are looking for the least expensive yet viable way, the marine batteries would be best. There are other options that will help keep the need for electricity to a minimum and make having a smaller backup system a viable option. Remember; we do not really NEED all of the electric and electronic gadgets we have. I will get into some of those next, followed by building your own wind charger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home